Sunday, February 9, 2020

Oscars

It's been nine months since I wrote a non-political post so I thought I would do a quick post about my thoughts on the Oscar contenders. Full disclosure-I have not seen some of the contenders and have been mostly underwhelmed by the five Best Picture nominees that I did see.

Best Picture.
1. Little Women- very well done movie but a little dull at times. There is also one odd casting choice that I think didn't work. (It's a bit of a spoiler, so I won't say more.)

2. Parasite.  Clever, entertaining and genuinely suspenseful at times. But it's an odd mash of genres and it didn't quite stick the landing.

3. The Irishman.  A good movie that is poignant at times but this is well-tread land and I do not intend to ever watch it again.

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Have you ever wondered what Quentin Tarrantino day dreams about?  Apparently he day dreams about being a really handsome stunt man who beats up Bruce Lee and thrwarts the Manson Family Murders.  Other than letting the world know this about him, there is no reason for this movie to have been made.

5. Joker. An impressive acting performance in a dry and dull script that does more harm than good to the Batman universe. The only move left for this franchise is to cast the sequel as broad camp. Andy Daly needs to be Batman and I want Jaquin Phoenix to stay on as the Joker, but just do it in the style of Caeser Romero.

I did not see 1917, Jojo Rabbit, Ford v. Ferrari, or Marriage Story. I could watch Marriage Story at any time with the click of a button but I understand the premise of the movie is that a homely guy is sad because he is married to Scarlett Johansson. In no universe will I ever have time to watch that.

Prediction:  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Rooting:  Little Women

Best Director:
Greta Gerwig was not nominated for Little Women, so I guess I'm rooting for Boong Joon-ho for Parasite. But I expect Quentin Tarrantino to win for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Best Actor:
Joaquine Phoenix is a lock to win this but I'm rooting for Jonathan Pryce in The Two Popes. I have no idea why Leo was nominated in this category. His performance was pedestrian and he was no more the lead than Brad Pitt, who was nominated in the supporting category. 

Best Actress:
I only saw one of these movies,. Renee Zellweger will probably win for Judy but I will be rooting for Saoirse Ronan in Little Women. Most likely the academy will make Saiorse wait a little bit longer, but she seems destined to win one eventually.

Best Supporting Actor:
This is the first category that I have seen all five nominees. Brad Pitt was the best part of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, so I will be fine with him winning. Anthony Hopkins was very good in The Two Popes. Tom Hanks was perfectly fine in the Mr. Rogers movie but I don't think he is winning his third Oscar for it. Al Pacino managed to tone it down a little for the Irishman, so that's why he got nominated.

But the best performance here by far was Joe Pesci in the Irishman. I will be rooting for him. But Pitt is the favorite.

Best Supporting Actress.
I only saw one of these performances so I guess I'm obligated to root for Florence Pugh in Little Women. Most likely the winner will be Laura Dern because its her turn.

Best Original Screenplay:
This has to go to Riann Johnson for Knives Out, the best movie I have mentioned so far. 

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Prediction and Rooting: Greta Gerwig for Little Women. But I would also be pleased if Anthony McCarten won for The Two Popes, which was very well written.

I can not believe Joker got a nomination in this category 



No comments:

Post a Comment