Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Walking Diaspora (B Squad)




Note: Spoilers for the February 16th episode of The Walking Dead abound.

Last week I wrote a hurried post about the premiere episode for the second half of season four of the Walking Dead.  I put forth my general theory about the season-that the group was divided in four smaller groups and that each of these little groups had one person that had heard the mysterious radio signal while on the supply and medicines run at the veterinary college.  I further speculated that Rick and Karl would meet up with Michonne, perhaps when they head to the town where Morgan was holed up last season.

The only characters seen last week were Michonne, Rick and Karl.  And they did indeed meet up at the end, although much closer to the prison than Morgan's hideout.  The previews for this week suggest that we will be brought up to speed on the rest of the survivors.  Or as I call them, The B Squad.  (And yes Darryl, much like Willem Dafoe's character in the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, you're on the B Squad, but you're the B Squad Leader.)

A little bit of internet sleuthing has revealed some spoilers.  I do believe there is conclusive evidence that Tyrese saved Judith during the war with the Governor's parade of imbeciles.  The embedded video makes that case pretty strongly.  There are also rumors that the preview for the Latin American audience showed Tyrese cradling a baby.  So it's safe to say, Judith lives.

This creates perhaps the most interesting story line in the history of the Walking Dead.  There might be a genuine moment of happiness.  Wouldn't that be something?

I don't expect that will happen tonight.  I expect tonight to be a series of catch-ups with the various unaccounted for people, specifically.


  • Tyrese is alone with Judith, it seems.  The first question I have is, why did he take her out of the baby carrier? It would have been much easier and faster to just grab that thing and run with it. It is, after all, a baby carrier.  He's going to need formula, stat.  There are also online rumors that a picture leaked showing Tyrese with Carol.  This would backup my earlier prediction that they would rendezvous before the rest of the group.  And of course Judith would help them make a natural family unit. Tyrese may or may not also be with the little girls that Carol had been taking care of.  A lot of pipe was laid between those girls and Carol earlier this season, so I expect them to meet up sooner than later.
  • Beth and Darryl.  There's only one question about these two being alone in the woods.
  • Glenn and the Bus Passengers.  Rumors abound that the bus runs into walkers.  I expect a lot of dead Red Shirts but I think Glenn will make it out okay.  And now that the virus is behind him, I think he'll become one of the main focal points of the rest of this season.
  • Maggie, Sasha and Bob.  Obviously Maggie's focus is going to be reconnecting with Glenn and with finding Beth.  I think she's one of the smartest characters left on the show. So she's probably doomed.  Sasha and Bob seem likely to have their own sub story, although there's really nothing in their characters so far to explain what they have in common.  Any port in a zombie apocylpse, I guess.
  • The final Internet reveal was that Tara (the lesbian sister of the governor's girlfriend Lilly) is still alive.  I'm not sure if Lilly is also alive, but the last time we saw her she was putting a bullet into the governor.  It would seem strange to waste the most important kill of this season on a glorified Red Shirt.  So I expect Lilly and Tara to both be alive, although I have no idea where they will fit in the grand scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment